Dancing on wheels. Together.

As many of you know, I dance on wheels.

Yesterday we were rehearsing a new piece, and it was a mix of people from my usual dance group and some others.

One of the other dancers was Alan, also an active chair user. I met him on my first ever dance class - which must be around 5 years ago. I don't think I danced with him personally though.

Back then I was a total novice.

A few years after that I danced with the lovely Mark Stone at the very beginning of his journey with ALS/Motor Neurone disease. It was fun. I was a little more experienced, but Mark was a novice like I had once been - I think I danced with him one of the first times he'd ever used a wheelchair.

But yesterday was different.

I am now a fairly experienced dancer. And I was working on choreographing a short duet with Alan, a very experienced dancer (with guidance from our teacher - Cecilia Mcfarlane, of course).

The first moments were awkward. I had no idea where to start - I don't think I've ever even seen 2 wheelchair dancers dance a duet. My mind was blank - I had no visual memories of dances to use as a reference point, and no personal experience to fall back on.

But quickly it became enchanting.

I was dancing with someone who's movement across the floor was in the same language as mine. And it was a language both of us knew well and loved.

I can't put the beauty of the experience into words, but I will always treasure it.



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. This sounds fantastic Hannah! I'd love to get into wheelchair dance. Once my active chair arrives, I'm going to look into whether there is anything near me (though I'll likely have to travel). Xx

    Tania | When Tania Talks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.